• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Moonstruck

First Lieutenant
61 Badges
Feb 8, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
Hello there,

I guess an introduction would be appropriate here, so, well. Yeah. Okay - Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I guess I'd better tell what this AAR is going to be, and what it is most certainly not going to be.

I've chosen to play as Prussia for a few reasons. One of them is that Prussia is, while not a piece o' Britain-level cake, quite easy. That's a good thing for me, because I am a newbie. Semi-perpetual newbie, to be exact, seeing as I usually get a reasonable grasp of the gameplay just before it changes. This means that while you may see some innovative strategies here, it will be mostly by accident, because most of the time, I'll have no idea what I'm doing. So, yeah, don't expect me to conquer the world by 1850 - If I've still got control of Prussia by then, I'll count it as a success.

Secondly, I've chosen Prussia because it is, in my opinion, a pretty interesting place. Lots of things happen there, and things just might take an unexpected turn. I'll try to roleplay as much as I'm able to, which should be a fair bit, even with the lack of the fantasy elements I'm used to, which also means that this AAR doesn't have any set goal. Yep, that's right; there'll probably be no world conquest, though if the fascists gain power, as much as I'd dislike it, they just might try. If the communists then revolt while the soldiers are tied up, well, that just makes for an even more interesting story.

That brings me to my third point: In addition to doing this as a participation in Alexspeed's contest, I'm writing this AAR because I want to make an interesting story. If the story starts to bore either the readers or me, the ruler just might decide that Prussia currently holds too few coal mines, and that expansion is needed. While this won't mean that it'll be constant action, it does mean that there will be exceptions to the aforementioned things. If roleplaying would mean a hundred years of isolated, stagnant peace, then the roleplaying takes a break.

And with that, let's get started!

Land der Dichter und Denker
An Experimental Prussian AAR by Moonstruck

Ah, lieber Deutschland. Land of poets, philosophers and the occasional terrifying warlord. For a country so young, you have experienced much. Many things have happened in your short life, and one cannot help but wonder if, perhaps, some things could've gone differently. If, perhaps, some person had been in another place at another time, and had made another decision. What might've happened?

***​
Friedrich Wilhelm III sat and contemplated the years that had gone by in his rule. So many things had gone wrong; though his intentions had been good, he'd led the country into one catastrophe after another. Though the Congress of Vienna had gone well enough, nobody could forget how the war had really gone. He'd long since faced the fact that he was a weak man, but that was no excuse for the way he'd let his wife sway him into breaking the neutrality. He wasn't suited for war at all – He'd realized that, and he knew what it meant. The prussian state did not have an army; rather, the things were the other way around. What use was a king who couldn't wage a proper war?

Upon realizing his flaws, he'd withdrawn into his own little shell, abandoning all promises of reform and only reacting when necessary. It had been bad for the country as well as his personal health, and he probably would've perished years ago, if it hadn't been for her.

He'd met Auguste von Harrach in Bohemia, back in 1822, and he'd instantly been drawn in by her charm. Though he was an old man even back then, already past fifty, she'd managed to invigorate him, filling him with new hope and power. Though he was still not a strong man – He'd long since accepted that he would never be – and had long since lost the blessing of youth, he was still the king of Prussia, and now, for once, he would be a proper king for his people. It had been proven that attempts at expansion outside the borders of Germany did no good, and so the German people would have to focus inward. He, as their king, would do what he could to aid them. To do that, though, some compromises had to be made...

Chapter One: 'Of Changes and Relations' coming soon to a forum near you!

________________________________________________​

Chapter List:

Chapter One: Of Changes and Relations
Chapter Two: A Worrying Turn [New]

Last edited:
Thank you for taking part in the contest and good luck!
I linked your thread in the contest list and will follow your AAR :)

CHAPTER ONE
Of Changes and Relations

prussiapic.jpg

1836: A new year, full of new possibilities. The lands of Germany were at peace once more, but they were fractured. Even in one of the strongest states, The Kingdom of Prussia, tension grew.

Having emerged from his stupor some months ago, the king had worked hard, spending most of his waking hours in the company of his advisers, using the rest to negotiate agreements with whoever he could get his hands on. Finally, about a month ago, the proclamation of the changes to come had arrived. Most had been shocked, if by nothing else than the fact that the otherwise-weak king had dared to instigate such changes. Still, though many were dissatisfied, nobody could get themselves to disagree with everything. The month had passed, full of anticipation, and now the new year had come.

v21k.png

Germany, 1836 – A land undergoing radical change

Shaking his head, Alexander Leitzke put down his issue of Der Preussische Staats-Zeitung. The government reforms had been set in motion months ago, and most of his collegues were well-prepared for them, but this was unexpected. How could he possibly have missed such things? He supposed it must've been done in secret, to prevent anyone from finding out. Upon further reflection, he would probably have done the same, but still! There was a reason one did not do such things.

It was a stroke of genius, he supposed – The king had, before his withdrawal, been known to have certain sympathies for the liberals, and though many of the reforms would annoy them, the opening of a new Technische Hochschule would help to mollify them. The intellectuals in Cologne had been annoyed ever since the university had been abolished by the French and would be happy to have any kind of educational institution, whereas the industrialists, unhappy as always with any government-imposed restrictions, would be overjoyed at the influx of skilled workers.

v22t.png

King Friedrich Wilhelm III established Kölnischer Technische Hochschule in the hope of encouraging industrialisation and research in the strategically important Rhinelands.

Still, even with his apparent genius, one could not forget his other actions. Some things could be excused, or perhaps chalked up to stupidity, but this?

An alliance with France of all nations?

It was a decent measure of security, he supposed, but surely even the king could remember what the French had done during the war. Louis-Phillipe seemed to be peaceful enough, but who knew what he might do? There was so many questions, and one could only hope that the king had thought them all through. He seemed to have a hidden spark of genius, though, so perhaps all hope wasn't lost.

v23f.png

An alliance with the French? What could this mean for the future of Germany?

One most certainly couldn't help but wonder how exactly he'd managed to convince his new political associates to support the alliance. Alexander wouldn't go so far as to call himself a liberal, but he still felt some small distaste for the reactionaries. Supporting the king and the nobles was good enough, but there was no need for more. Things were good as they were, after all, and perhaps there was a chance that some of the liberal reforms might actually do some good, if only with heavy moderation. He himself could certainly use some lower taxes; he had no illusions of the recently-induced tax cuts lasting long. In whatever way, they'd find some excuse to raise it again - No matter what one thought of the recent changes, they had to be financed. Some of the reforms would help with the task, but they wouldn't be sufficient. He still marveled at how the king had managed to get the jingoist reactionaries to lower the military budget – It must've been quite a feat, considering the general opinion of said matters.

Perhaps he really was becoming a bit liberal.

v24corrected.png

With the rise of the Nationale Partei, tax cuts were implemented for broad sections of the population. While these were soon turned around, the military cuts surprisingly managed to last for a while.

Meanwhile, in the western-most parts of Prussia, another man put down the very same newspaper, his face lit up by a wide smile.

Johannes Voss was a big man, as suitable for one engaged in the business of mines. He was usually a rather serious man as well, with a temper matching the fiery colour of his bright red hair, but today was an exception. He didn't have much respect for kings in general, and most certainly not his own - Anyone could see that the man was a weakling fool - but today, he cared nothing for that matter.

He'd never lacked anything, and he was satisfied with the output of his mines, but this was above anything he'd dreamt of. A steelworks in the Rheinlands, financed by the state and, rumour had it, arranged by the king, would mean a doubling, no, a tripling of the profits of his mines.

v25b.png

To capitalize on the influx of skilled engineers and machinists, as well as the many mines in the area, a steelworks was constructed in the Rheinlands. This also had the benefit of making Prussia's supply of steel increasingly independant.

He'd frowned a bit when reading about the alliance-to-be with the French, but after some time, he'd seen the logic. With the French border secured, the industrial growth would be encouraged - There'd no longer be as great a threat of losing one's investment, and if the relations with France bettered, one might even find a market for one's goods there. It seemed the French had made an alliance with Austria as well, which meant that the balance of power would be kept, and there'd be no great war on the horizon. If only an alliance could be made with Austria itself as well, things just might end up nicely.

Sadly, that was not a possibility, as he grudgingly acknowledged. After the baseless accusations from the Austrian embassy in Krakow, relations between Austria and Prussia had grown worse than ever. Still, with the looming threat of a French invasion, peace was reasonably sure. Additionally, it looked like the relations with Bavaria were bettering, and with the right actions at the right time, profit could turn out to be possible.

v27.png

With the recent trouble in Krakow turning the Prussian operations there into chaos, the diplomats focus on the southern lands of Germany. An envoy has also been sent to Holstein, where the king hopes to turn the state away from Denmark.

Now, with the changes of the new year, the foundation of a rising empire have been lain. Only the future can tell what might happen, but rest assured - Peace won't be eternal!

I'm suprised to see you encouraged capis. I tend to use my domestic NFs solely to encourage craftsmen. I'm not sure how 1.2 has change the role of capis but in 1.1 they were as much a burden as a boon. Their only real positive was their role as railroad builders and even at that they were hardly a blinding success. If I were you I'd change your NFs ASAP.

Anyways, unfortunate that you started this AAR in the forum's current 'time of troubles' so you haven't had too many replies but this is looking good so far. :)

Oh, I did encourage craftsmen as well, I just forgot to show that. Brandenburg has capitalists, whereas Nordrhein has craftsmen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but an increase of craftsmen, more knowledge of industrial production as well as increased education spending should justify the opening of a new Technische Hochschule, shouldn't it? :p

Very enjoyable read your first chapter, thank you :)

'time of troubles'

Well said, Tommy4ever, a time of troubles indeed! :rofl: :( Hope the forum is here to stay for a while...

Anyway this AAR is shaping up quite nicely. A crafty Prussia is a different take on the first game years of Prussia. I respect your permanewbiness as a fellow practitioner of it's craft! ;p But it seems to me you made some pretty good choices, both gamewise and story-wise. Those extra craftsman should legitimize the technical school - and every point of industry helps to weaken the claims of the Austrians and French. Although again... nice to see interest in alliances this time around, even if (especially if!) Herr Voss and his mines disapprove! Let the steel factory keep him placated for awhile, I say! :cool:

Herr Voss doesn't really mind alliances, per se, it's just... Why did it have to be France?

I'll be describing the story mostly from the viewpoints of a collection of Prussian citizens, perhaps with the odd foreigner here or there. Next update will be dealing with the rest o' the year 1836, detailing the rising political tensions, both concerning foreign politics and in Prussia itself, as well as the growing industrialisation. Peace is kept for now, but in the last days of the year, dark clouds seem to appear on the horizon...

Good start so far.

France, in one of my start-up games as Prussia for 1.2 offered an alliance right away also. Let's just say it turned out to be an alliance that benefited the Prussians more than the French.

An alliance with the French?! what vile trickery compelled the dear king to accept such an offer?! perhaps it was something in the French ambassador's wine?

Good start so far, I look forward to further chapters. :)

Tanzhang - Sure seems that way. No sane Prussian would ever trust an ambassador! Let alone... A French ambassador!

I'll be describing the story mostly from the viewpoints of a collection of Prussian citizens, perhaps with the odd foreigner here or there. Next update will be dealing with the rest o' the year 1836, detailing the rising political tensions, both concerning foreign politics and in Prussia itself, as well as the growing industrialisation. Peace is kept for now, but in the last days of the year, dark clouds seem to appear on the horizon...

Oh, that's practically an enthusiastic invitation to wait with bated breath for the next chapter! Sounds like we'll have a nice medley of views, more industrialization, and storm clouds - strife always indicates interesting events indeed!

I would've posted this chapter earlier, but I was taken by surprise by a half-marathon as well as several different assignments in varying languages. Now, however, school is out for a week, so things should pick up speed again. As for the comments...

Enewald: I would try to unite NGF, only I'm afraid that it'd be beyond my meagre abilities to do so currently. Also, the current king is kinda anti-war-ish, so we'd probably have to wait 'till post-1840. I'm actually kinda hoping for a gutter-crown - That'd solve so many problems.

TekcoR: Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a stupid move by France, but eh... I don't particularly mind ;)

Tanzhang: Well, y'know... Spending all those years in near-catatonia can't be good for your mental health. Perhaps he was just a bit addled at the time?

Communitarian: Let's see if you're right - I'm afraid this chapter only covers a relatively short time, but I'm still trying to introduce the 'main characters'. Trying to have one from each type o' POP; that should give us several perspectives on the events to come. I hope you guys can identify the different people.

CHAPTER TWO
A Worrying Turn

In the lands of Prussia, history went onward as it had done so many times before. The industrialisation had been moving steadily forward, and even with the expenses involved in the construction of additional factories, coins had been rolling steadily into the national coffers. All was well in the nation as a whole, much unlike the situation in Bavaria.

***​
Somewhere in the state of Bavaria, between the cities of Nuremberg and Fürth, a carriage drove along. It was rolling forward at a steady pace, its wheels neatly following the iron tracks of the Ludwigsbahn. As the horses dragged it along, with only the occasional direction the coach, two men sat inside and discussed the recent events.

”I still don't see why they couldn't just let us use the Adler,” the younger of the two said, the frustration in his voice clear. ”It can't be that significant, when the king himself hasn't even bothered to visit. We're not some rag-tag emmisaries from a Saxon count, we're envoys from the Prussian state itself! Even if we have to leave, we shouldn't be forced to travel like common merchants – I can't believe this!”

bavariaban.jpg

May 13, 1836, Prussian diplomats were thrown out of Bavaria with great haste. Most scholars agree that the main reason for this event was the pressure recently applied by the Austrian government, southern Germany's largest power.

”And that, my friend Robert, is why I am in charge of the mission. Or was, at any rate. Since the Austrians apparently want us thrown out of Bavaria – I'm sure they'd happily ship us all the way to Indochina if need be – they can't have us returning to Prussia like heroes returning from the glory of battle.” Attempting to take another puff on his pipe, Benedikt von Gransee sighed as it turned out to have burned out.

Taking forth his tinderbox, he began to relight his pipe as he continued: ”It's nothing new for the Austrian diplomats to oppose us, but I must admit, the way they've used such direct force of their latest acts worries me. I know that the State Council talks about the importance of the German people in Holstein, and how our alliance with Sweden is merely to keep the Danes in check, but that's not the whole truth. I believe that the Austrians are starting to worry the king, as they worry me. The business with the Spaniards isn't a good sign either. One can but hope that the abrupt ending to the alliance between them and the French can keep them in check. I don't see much good coming out of this, no matter what.”

geralliances.jpg

Though their alliance with the French was soon terminated, the Austrians quickly countered by aligning themselves with the more conservative Spain. In an attempt to maintain the balance of power, the Prussians found an ally amongst the Swedes.

A few months later, in his office in Potsdam, Alexander Leitzke went over his calculations once more. They all seemed to be correct, which was good in itself. Nevertheless, he would've preferred if he'd made some mistake – The Royal Distillery in Magdeburg had turned out to be far more expensive than calculated. It would likely earn the money back several times over, but that didn't do much good right now.

It was good, he supposed, that the State Council had decided that the Prussian Kingdom ought to establish a great stockpile of industrial construction materials; that would lessen the economical strain caused by things like these, and it would help to make Prussia more independent of the world market. In addition, steel was useful for a number of other things, most of which he did not wish to think about – For a bureaucrat like himself, war meant nothing but trouble. Still, the king seemed to be reasonable enough. Hopefully he'd do the decent thing, and preserve the peace.

steelinv.jpg

In the hopes of establishing a stable future economy, as well as quicken the construction of future factories, the Prussian government begins to stockpile necessary goods.

No matter how good an investment it was, however, it was still expensive. Buying the materials now, as opposed to later, might save some money in the long run, but for now, the cost was abhorrent. If he hadn't messed up his calculations – and he had, after all, both double- and triple-checked – the amount of money spent on establishing the national stockpile was about nine times the size of the usual budget. Prussia could afford it, he knewe that, and it was probably the best thing to do, but he prayed intensively that word didn't get out amongst the population as a whole about this; if riots took place, he'd probably be strung up by his heels.

stockexp.jpg

Though it would prove to be a good choice in the long run, the decision to create a national stockpile proved to be a rather expensive one.

Benedikt von Gransee slammed his fist into the table. It wasn't good for a diplomat to lose his temper, but he was alone now, so nobody would complain. Damn those British! He'd worked hard in the last months, trying to improve the Prussian-Hanoverian relations, but he'd had to watch his step every cursed second. The Brits were too mighty for everyone's good, and they could put a stop to his operations any time they wanted. Hannover was a German land, anyone could see that, and as such, it ought to belong to Prussia. Nobody could do anything about it, though, because of those high-and-mighty Englishmen; they'd repeatedly insulted the Prussian envoys, and one couldn't do anything but send a polite letter requesting an end to negotiations. Diplomacy had truly been a hell this year, but at least there was only a few days left of it by now – Hopefully nothing more would happen.

insults.jpg

Even if they were perhaps not as bad as the Austro-Prussian ones, British-Prussian relations were turning rather sour at the end of the year.

He heard a knock on the door and looked up. ”Come in,” he said, trying to calm himself down. Whoever the visitor might be, it would not be good for his reputation, if he appeared to have lost his self-control. As soon as he saw his visitor, however, he smiled.

”There you are, old man,” the guest said, grinning. As a young and healthy man of a good family, as well as a promising officer, Herbert Acker was usually popular in almost every sort of company. However much he enjoyed being the center of attention, though, he still liked to retreat every once in a while. Spending time with people like Benedikt von Gransee, his great-uncle, meant that he had a chance to relax and be himself for a moment.

”You'll never guess what just happened,” he continued. ”I was attending Childermass at the Kriegsakademie, and both General von Anhalt and General von Bülow were present. They'd both had a few glasses too much, and, well, they started talking a bit loudly. Apparently some lout over in Aachen was imprisoned by the Belgians, and it turns out that they did it on our territory. Everybody's up in arms over it, and von Anhalt's faction seems to have started talking about a retaliatory strike. It's all in complete chaos.”

”So, what do you think,” he finally said. ”Mighty fine story, isn't it?”

Benedikt just started at him, then emptied the glass of wine he'd poured himself. Looked like it'd be another long year.

incident.jpg

Belgium has grossly violated the rights of a Prussian citizen, and the more jingoist factions have started talking about war. Belgium, however, is in the British sphere of influence, so who knows what might happen?

Thank you for the Update, dont forget to link it in your chapter list in the first posting ;)

I hope to see an update soon :)

Your last Update was on the 16-10-2010, so a update overdue.

Please Update till the 31st October 2010 or you will get -20 points substracted from your total score.

See the Contest thread for further explanation about substracting points.

I hope you will be able to update in time :)

You failed to update till the deadline, i sent you a pm and i posted here, here is nothing more i can do. :(

So you get -20 points substracted from your points total.
See the contest thread for further explanation.

You have still time till the 15th November to bring your 3 missing chapters,
if you fail to bring the 5 chapters necessary for the contest you will get
another -20 points substracted from your total score for every missing chapter.